Full details on the official website.
1. Entry Details
(1) The contest will be accepting submissions under the following three categories. All entries must reflect the theme: “Window”.
– 1 frame manga (1 page)
– 4 frame manga (1-8 pages)
– 4 to 24 page manga story
(Artists can submit to multiple categories and can make multiple entries. Co-produced works will also be accepted.)
(2) Entries must be original works that have not been previously published
or publicly released. (Works published as doujinshi are acceptable)
(1) All levels from amateur to professional will be considered.
(2) Submissions from artists of all ages and nationalities are welcomed.
3. Submission Period
Submissions must be received between April 1st 2019 and August 31st 2019 (no later than this date).
(1) General criteria:
a) Original paper size must be B4 (257mm X 364mm).
b) Write the title and text in Japanese or in your own native language.
c) Submitted work may be in color or black and white (or a combination of both).
d) Page numbers should be visible at the bottom of each page.
(2) For hand-drawn hard copy:
a) Double-sided works will not be accepted.
b) Title and text must be clearly written and readable.
(3) For soft copy:
The file format of the submitted data must be .jpg or .png.
* Black and white data submissions must have a display resolution of at least 600dpi.
* Color data submissions must have a display resolution of 350dpi or more.
5. Submitting Works
(1) Submitting the original work (hard or soft copy)
a) For paper submission, submit one original sized copy.
Ensure that title and text are clearly written and readable before sending.
b) For soft copy submission, submit in a CD-R or DVD-R.
c) Include one Application Form per entry.
d) Submitted copy will not be returned.
Send submissions to:
Manga Kingdom Tottori International Comic Art Contest Office
Work Submission Section (Imai Printing Co, Ltd)
8 Tomimasu-cho, Yonago City, Tottori Prefecture, 683-0103, Japan
(2) If you would like to submit the data via the website, please follow the following 2 steps.
<Step 1> Send an e-mail to get a password
a) Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Write, in the subject field, “Manga Contest Application”.
Be sure to include your manga category, your work title, your name, occupation (school name and year if applicable), address, nationality, date of birth, gender and contact information, as well as a pen name if any, in the body of your e-mail.
b) You will receive a reply from the contest, within one week, with a link to application server and password.
* Please proceed while keeping in mind the application deadline.
* E-mail address mentioned above will be functional until August 31st.
<Step 2> Upload and submit data
a) Access the application server using the link and password you received from the contest.
b) Upload your work data onto the server.
* However, there are memory capacity limits depending file format.
Work data: .jpg/.png format (within 5MB)
Application Form: .doc/.pdf (within 5MB)
* Compress your work data and application form into one ZIP file and upload it
* Maximum size for upload is 100MB.
6. Contest Terms and Conditions
(1) Winners will be contacted. The original copy of the work (.psd or .eps format for digital works), or revised layout of the text may be requested at a later date. In this case, the contest organizer will return the original copy to the artist if requested.
(2) The submission of a work to this contest must not infringe upon any third party copyrights or image rights. If it is discovered that a winning submission has violated a copyright, the work will be disqualified and the award will be revoked.
(3) In the event that the submitted work is found to have infringed upon third party copyrights or image rights, through plagiarism, illegal copying, or any other reason, the artist will be held fully responsible for paying all charges and expenses.
(4) The contest organizer will not be held responsible for any damages to the artwork that occurs through postal handling.
(5) The copyrights of the submitted work will remain property of the artist.
However, the artist should allow the contest organizer to place a part or all of the work in publications or PR materials produced by the contest (including outsourced publications), display a part or all of the work in exhibitions hosted by the contest, as well as on online media, and other acknowledged exhibitions free of charge.
(6) Personal information collected here will only be used for the contest and for no other purpose.
(7) The contest organizer is not liable to any damage or loss incurred as a result of inappropriate actions such as uploading files that exceed the memory capacity.
A separate selection committee (Manga Kingdom Tottori International Comic Art Contest Selection Committee) consisting of manga artists, manga researchers, and others will select the winning artworks in a two stage selection process.
The selection committee will review all three categories and select one work to be awarded the Grand Prize. Additional works will be considered for other awards. The contest prizes consist of the following:
(1) 1 work will be awarded the Grand Prize consisting of a certificate and 500,000 yen.
(2) 2 works will be awarded merit awards consisting of a certificate and 100,000 yen.
(3) Approximately 3 works will be awarded a selection committee award consisting of a certificate and 50,000 yen.
(4) Approximately 3 works will be awarded a U-15 youth manga artist prize (for artists 15 years of age and younger) consisting of a certificate and prize item (30,000 yen value).
9. Announcement of Winning Selections
Prize winning works will be announced around December 2019.
10. Award Ceremony
An award ceremony will be held around February 2020 in Tottori Prefecture.
All winners will receive an invitation to the award ceremony.
11. Contest Organizer
Tottori Prefectural Government