Surveys and Research
Surveys And Research
As an overseas office of CLAIR, JLGC provides support for the internationalisation efforts of local governments in Japan in a number of ways:
- offering on-the-ground support for local governments working overseas
- conducting surveys and research about policy and local governance etc.
One key mission is to help Japanese local governments access the evidence and data they require to sustain their work on behalf of local residents. For example, across our office activities we work with UK sector counterparts such as the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (and the devolved administrations), Local Government Association (and COSLA/NILGA), SOLACE, LARIA etc. as required.
We provide the following services to local governments in Japan:
- Regular reports on policy trends in UK and European regions and commissioned content for Japanese specialist media (e.g. initiatives for regional revitalisation)
- In-house surveys by staff seconded from Japanese local authorities, based on research themes identified as local priorities (e.g. night time economy, use of AI in public services, active travel)
- Commissioning research from universities and other organisations (e.g. Germany’s public services and regional autonomy)
- Advising Japanese public bodies on arranging research activities in Europe, working with sister local government associations as appropriate (e.g. local bond financing in Sweden)
- Bespoke analysis and insights in response to specific events in Japan (e.g. COVID-19, Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games) and for CLAIR programmes (e.g. supporting multiculturalism)