The Japan Local Government Centre (JLGC) is the London Office of Japan’s Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR). CLAIR is a government-affiliated incorporated foundation that works to support the internationalisation efforts of city and regional authorities in Japan, including through the JET Programme.
CLAIR’s seven overseas offices make use of their extensive networks for the benefit of Japanese local authorities’ international efforts and offer flexible and detailed support. JLGC does this by:
- updating member authorities on developments in UK and other countries’ public policy by publishing various content and insight reports, as well as attending conferences and events;
- actively developing and implementing plans for promoting and strengthening bilateral relations between Japanese cities and their European counterparts, advising on representation and protocol;
- hosting and supporting events which promote the interests of Japanese local areas, as well as via the internet and our newsletter;
- researching partners for hosting meetings and study visits by Japanese local leaders, facilitating and briefing such groups as appropriate; and
- developing links and networks with political and opinion leaders, business organisations and the media, to promote Japan’s local interests and understanding of public policy through these.
In addition to the UK, JLGC is responsible for the following countries within the EEA: Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway and Sweden.